Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder caused by interrupted air patterns or obstructed airflow while you sleep. It occurs in many individuals and it is serious and needs to be treated as soon as symptoms begin to show. There are two major forms of sleep apnea, including central sleep apnea which is caused by a failure of signals being sent from the brain to the chest muscles for breathing and obstructive sleep apnea, which is caused by obstructions in the airway.
The truth is that you may already be susceptible to sleep apnea and not even know it. Listed below are common risk factors for sleep apnea:
– As you age, you become more susceptible to sleep apnea disorder.
– Your likelihood of sleep apnea can be increased if you are often the victim of sinus problems or nasal allergies.
– Sleep apnea disorder can be the fault of an irregular-sized portion of your body, including oversized tonsils, a large tongue, or a small jaw.
– Although oral health disorders can happen to anyone, they are typically most common in men.
– As with many health disorders, you may be at a heightened risk for sleep apnea based on your genetics and family history of the disorder.
– Nasal blockages and obstructions, including a deviated septum, can increase your risk for sleep apnea.
The Bartlett Dental Station remains committed to your oral health, and you are welcome to book an appointment with us by calling 630-837-2779. Stop by our dentist office in Bartlett, Illinois, and Dr. Mark Prosniewski and our team will give you the treatment you need. Let us help you with sleep apnea and all of your oral health care needs.